The network for Berlin club culture
Cultural value and economic impact
Club culture is a cultural asset that significantly enriches Berlin’s social, cultural and economic life. Since 2001 Clubcommission Berlin e.V. has promoted and supported the now 170 members in the Berlin club, festival, open air, party and cultural events organisers. In so doing, our association has become a guide for other metropolises across Berlin Brandenburg and Germany who have set up in recent years.
Berlin has a reputation for a having one of the most multifaceted music scenes. The economic impact of the music scene has helped shape Berlin’s development as a whole. Clubs, festivals and all cultural events in Berlin are laboratories for artists and producers. Yet, they are idea pools for creatives in fashion, film, gaming and modern art too. Every day, new connections are made, collaborations and projects created; niches fight their corners and new trends are set. As culture draws people to Berlin, other industries benefit too: tech, startups, gastronomy and tourism all benefit.
Our goals and services
Through its work, Clubcommission is laying the ground for the preservation, development and future of the Berlin club scene. We speak on behalf of the many voices of this sector. We promote the sectors’ political, administrative and economic interests to ensure their recognition. We are the main point of contact for the press, authorities, institutions and service providers. We represent our sector in conferences, city planning, economic events, in response to specific political events and abroad.
- Culture working group (AG Kultur)
This project group on „culture and economic promotion“ looks across the many public budgets and administration. It suggests ways in which the club and event organizers can meaningfully participate and benefit from them.
- Open air working group (AG OpenAir)
This project group focusses on spontaneous events in public spaces like parks, commons and in hidden locations. The aim of this group is the avoidance of noise and rubbish, as well as the enforcement of event organizers’ rights.
- Noise working group (AG Lärm)
The „noise“ project team works to prevent the shift of clubs out of the city centre. Clubcommission communicates with authorities, institutions and arranges experts, legal assistance and press representation for members.
- Political working group (AG Politik)
Berlin needs a masterplan for the development of this sector in the coming decade. The campaign MUSIK 2020 BERLIN is the vision agreed and worked upon by Clubcommission, Labelcommission Berlin and over 400 Berlin music companies. Clubcommission is also a founding member of the Live Musik Commission, the association of music venues in Germany.
- City development working group (AG Stadtentwicklung)
Clubcommission works to make politics and administrations aware of the value and needs of the music and cultural scene. Unfettered gentrification is not the solution. We want to work to influence planning applications and use of city spaces. Together we can give a more complete answer with citizen initiatives, parliamentarians, business people and administrations to the question: How we want to live in our cities?
Projects and initiatives (selected)
- Bar Bitches Ball - A party for those who work in the club scene
- BerMuDa - Festival for the scene by the scene
- CLUBCONSULT - Consultancy for clubs and event organisers
- FairPlay - initiative against GEMA tariff reform 2013
- EastSideGallery retten! Campaign against property development on the former “death strip” at the East Side gallery
- ClubMob - Sequence of events for saving energy and resources in clubs
- Berlin Clubnacht - Clubs celebrate together across Berlin and in twinned places abroad
- MUSIK 2020 BERLIN - Campaign for music venues in Berlin
- ALL YOU CAN MEET - Networking for creatives in Berlin
- Runder Tisch - The future of Berlin’s property management
- Pop im Kiez - Building good relations between live music venues and local neighbourhoods
Consulting and professional development
ClubConsult is Clubcommissions’ consultancy offering a wide range of services from energy management, new technologies, finance (including funding and insurance) as well as legal advice. ClubConsult brings with it years of experience, broad expertise in the sector and builds the right bridges to other industries. This allows its clients to achieve business process improvement in the running of clubs and events, reduces costs and energy usage in the long term.
Join us at Clubcommission!
The application forms and our articles of association can be found here.